How to be happy while dieting
Imagine yourself sitting in front of a box of chocolates.
Do you allow yourself a small amount of sweets or abstain? Standard advice from most people around: why not allow yourself a bit of fun? Like, since you will not feel deprived and will not break before overeating.
For a long time I believed this. But, trying to restrain herself (that is, sometimes allowing one or two candies), she ultimately lost. A good example: no matter how hard I try to resist, sometimes I break down and eat my favorite ice cream two, or even three times a day. So far, finally, she didn’t admit it to herself. And confessing, she decided to stop immediately. Instead of ice cream that day, I ate ... a cold turkey.
All the time that I tried to be moderate, I just tired of myself with endless debate: "Eat me dessert today or eat it tomorrow?" But, if I give myself the installation that from now on I never do something, I will no longer even have to think about it! No and no trial.
“80 + 20” or “100”
I know there are people who allow themselves small indulgences during the diet. I remember how one nutritionist told me: “I advise my clients to follow the 80 + 20 rule, it suggests eating healthy food in 80% of cases, but it’s permissible to indulge yourself in the remaining 20%.” I think she would not agree with my opinion that for someone the rule “100” is much more effective ... Although we are both right in our own way.
As a supporter of the “100” rule, or complete rejection, I often hear comments like: “It’s harmful to be so strict about yourself.” One friend of mine even once said: “Life is too short not to eat brownie cake!”
Different settings are suitable for different people. The main thing is to know which strategy is right for you.
Why complete failure gives complete freedom
Complete rejection means complete freedom
If you only tried to completely give up something, you were surprised to find how easy it is. It just seems complicated and difficult.
Take, for example, my sister. For a long time she adhered to the principle of "80 + 20". Her weakness was french fries. She found a solution: she began to share every portion of potatoes with her husband. It seems to have eaten, but not entirely. And recently, my sister told me: “You know, I'm still for complete abstinence. It turned out to be easier for me than to limit myself. ”
I especially liked her explanation. “To be honest, I hate restricting myself,” my sister told me. “But I also try to look at everything positively.” Therefore, instead of thinking: "I can never eat french fries again," I say to myself: "Now I am free from french fries." And there is!
The choice is yours!
For me, giving up something (complete abstinence) looks like this. I am free from the dilemma (to eat or not to eat, today or tomorrow), free from thoughts on this subject (since “never”, then there’s nothing to think about), free from worries (after all, it’s worth breaking the diet, as conscience begins to torment). No thanks!
It’s better to tell yourself (and others): “I never do this,” than to allow myself a little relief, and then suffer a lot.
Gretchen Rubin is the author of a book on how to be happy.
More tips on Gretchen’s page: